Sue Kar Mere Man Ko

Sue has asked me to name six unspectacular quirks of mine. And pass on the onerous task to 6 more unsuspecting souls. And finally, tell these innocent souls to bare their souls. Whatay fun!

The first task is easy enough and Sue touched my heart (and hence the title!) by asking me to give it a filmy twist. I first thought she wanted me to explain Republicans and Democrats in filmy terms (which is easy - Sunny Deol and Saif Ali Khan respectively!) but then it transpired that it is the tag which must allude to my Bolly quirks!
So here goes...

1. I just love musical medleys and spoofs in films.
The clutch of Laxmikan-Pyarelal songs in Mr India, with which Sridevi and the kids sparred over a football. The antakshari in Maine Pyar Kiya which was actually an elaborate charade to make Bhagyashree say 'I love you' to Salman in public. The show in Hum Saath Saath Hain which is put up by Saif and Karishma to introduce the family. And of course, the Naseer Hussain college music competitions with a flurry of song-lets (Hum Kissi Se Kum Nahin and Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, for example). I love them all. In fact, I am addicted to them.

2. Various Bollywoody questions and possibilities suddenly hit me and I spend days worrying about them.
Will Amitabh and Madhuri ever act opposite each other? Which was the first time a product placement happened in a Bollywood film? Who counted the number of films in which Jagdish Raj acted as a police officer? Who enters the data for Bollywood films on IMDB? Will Ramgopal Verma ever appear on Koffee With Karan?

3. I have liked several 'lesser films' more than I liked 'classics'.
I liked Dharam Veer more than Mughal-e-Azam, Chalti Ka Naam Gadi more than Pyaasa, Jewel Thief more than Guide and Don more than Abhimaan. Consequently, I cannot understand people going ga-ga over certain 'classical' moments. Every list of erotic moments in Bollywood routinely contains the Mughal-e-Azam scene in which Dilip Kumar 'tickles' Madhubala with a feather. I found that scene completely passion-less and boring.

4. I have a fetish for collecting souvenirs.
In school, I had a scrapbook of Amitabh Bachchan pictures, which I still have. I have retained ticket stubs of some of the more memorable movies I have seen. The last one I collected was the first time I went for a movie with my son (Lage Raho Munnabhai) but unfortunately, the print on the tickets nowadays fade with time. Also, I have cuttings of newspapers and magazines from twenty years back featuring my favourite stars.

5. Usually, I like the musical oddballs more than the acrredited hits.
The Aaashiqui number from Rock On. Amitabh's rendition of Neela Aasmaan. Anup Ghoshal's rendition of Tujhse Naraaz. Shashi Kapoor version of the Do Aur Do Paanch title song. In Abhimaan, there are snatches of Tere mere milan ki yeh raina all through the film before it comes on as a full-blown performance in the finale. I liked all those humming-jamming pieces better than the song!

6. I don't buy pirated music or films. I don't download music from the 'net. Actually, I only download music of which I own an original album. I only wish Bollywood would be impressed by my honesty and reduce the prices of original CDs!

I think Udayan and Nilendu should continue this tag to revive their blogs. Cannot think of anybody else who has six unspectacular quirks...

Comments

--xh-- said…
new guy here, and nice to know more about you... :)
Anonymous said…
lol abt the Bollywood posibilties :)and yeah i love the musical oddballs too. have been looking for an audio recording of the beautiful shaadi ditties from Dil Se (main waari waari jaaun preetam pyaare) and Monsoon Wedding forever..
Anonymous said…
Ditto on Mughal-e-Azam. I really don't get what all the fuss is about. And -- dare I say this -- I find Dilip Kumar highly amusing as a soulful lover and I also think he looks like Robi Ghosh.
Anonymous said…
Robi Ghosh was highly shaggable. Short guys with sense of humor is so rare!
the mad momma said…
uff... bad pj in the title. and tell me then - if the feather scene is passionless, how abt a list of top ten passionate scenes. consider youreslf tagged since i am incapable of doing it myself.
Amitabh and Madhuri HAVE appeared "opposite" each other. Bade Miyan Chhote Miyan

IMDB entries about Indian films are not always reliable. In the Amitabh entry, they don't mention his playback for Lawaaris

So go on ...

J.A.P.
@ JAP: Guest appearances don't count.

As for IMDb, you should read some of the plot summaries of the more obscure films. Amazingly well-written. But you are right, they are not comprehensive.
I can see myself in points 3 and 5. The Shashi Kapoor version of Do Aur Do Paanch was sung by Rajesh Roshan and Mehmood.

For some strange reason, I am also fascinated by the Amjad Khan version of Oonchi Oonchi Baaton Se from Mr Natwarlal. Listen to it sometime.
Sue said…
Forgot to check on you before, what with Pujo and everything else and am highly agonised at hearing this terrible pun all over again. I thought I'd lived it down. Bah.

But I knew you could come up with six filmy oddities. :) Shall I tell you something scandalous now? Don't tell anybody, but I enjoyed the Farhan Akhtar 'Don'.

Still friends?
Renu said…
good one, I agree witht he first three:)